This job had many moving parts to it will very little prep time and only one chance to get it right. With two different IFB lines being routed via mission control along with everything going through the Instagram application I wasn’t 100% sure how it would work but thankfully it all worked well. The biggest issue was gain stage control which is why Will is speaking loud as we couldn’t get a good level into the phone using an external mic. Enjoy !
To better serve my clients and there productions: I have added a Sound Devices 702T to my kit This powerful 2 channel 24bit 96k recorder with timecode capibilites for all HD and SD formats including the New RED Camera. Will allow me to better serve all my clients
I think wireless camera links are the best advance in technology to happen to the location sound mixer because it gives you the freedom to do your job the best way you can, I have rarely had an issue with my zaxcom system but here is a list of things to do before shooting and a list of possible problems you may run into:
1. Make sure your camera man is always listening to the wireless feed via his camera headphone jack since you have no way of knowing what it sounds like.
2. Make sure all attennas and power cables are secure to the unit. The only issues I have ever had it a lose power cable or attenna.
3. Make sure the unit is secure in a saddle bag or BEC box. I have mine wrapped in velcro, which keeps them extra tight in the saddle bag or BEC box.
4. Have extra cables and attennas in case something breaks.
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS:
1. Unit will not power on: Check power cables are tight by removing them and reinserting them. Check batteries if your using them. Check Power Switch.
2. Unit is on but Camera Op hears no audio: Check headphone volume knob on camera, check transmitter in your audio bag, make sure camera is set up to recieve audio correctly.
3. Poor Range: Check to make sure tx and rx attennas are tight and secure, Make sure they are in good condition. Scan for new clear frequency.
With these simple tips and tricks your Zaxcom should preform well for you and make your job much easier.
I wish went I was in film school starting in 2001 someone would have just sat me down for 1 hour and told me all the things it took me 4 years to figure out on my own. I guest lecture at the local film school in Savannah (SCAD) a few times a year and will reality tv here to stay they are still not telling students what they really need to know. It bothers me that a school that charges close to $80,000 for a 4 year degree only teaches students how to work on feature films and high budget productions which we all know is not where they will start working. The program should focus on things like how to lav 5 people in 5 minutes while a producer is yelling at you or how to make sure you get paid correctly. Sometimes it makes me want to teach so I can do this but then I realize I would get frustrated dealing with green sound and film kids everyday.